CURRENT STATUS OF ROUTE 9
One travel lane open on limited
schedule beginning August 15
Thank you for your continued patience and cooperation during ReThink9, the Town of Hillsboro’s Traffic Calming, Pedestrian Safety and Infrastructure Improvement Project.
DELIVERY ON-TIME OR AHEAD OF SCHEDULE
We anticipate an ahead-of-schedule April 2021 delivery of the project as a result of the accelerated full-closure period.
No additional full closures in 2020. (Two full closures planned for November and December 2020 no longer required.)
East and West Roundabouts have been functional since August 14, nearly eight weeks ahead of the original schedule.
Hillsboro water main completion in July, four months ahead of original schedule.
- All underground utility vaults/manholes installed
- 95% of stormwater structures installed (95 of 100 structures)
- More than 80% of stormwater drainage pipe installed (4,800 linear feet of 6,000 linear feet)
- 95% of sanitary sewer main and laterals installed
- Eleven of 13 retaining walls complete
- Nearly 92% of electrical conduits installed (10,600 of 11,500 linear feet)
- More than 80% of communications conduits installed (13,600 of 16,500 linear feet)
- Close to 20% of granite curb installed (2,050 of 10,700 linear feet)
Partial Opening Schedule
CURRENT STATUS OF ROUTE 9
Since August 15, the Route 9 work zone in Hillsboro is partially open on a limited schedule to accommodate morning eastbound commuter traffic and weekend westbound tourist travel while still allowing the construction team a safe work zone. One lane will be open for limited travel based on the schedule below.
ONLY EASTBOUND OPEN
MONDAY – FRIDAY 4 AM to 9:30 AM
ONLY WESTBOUND OPEN
FRIDAY 2 PM to 7 PM (OR DUSK)
SATURDAY & SUNDAY 7 AM to 7 PM (OR DUSK)
Except for times listed above, Route 9 in Hillsboro will be closed to all traffic.
With Route 9 in Hillsboro partially open—depending upon day and time—you have three travel options.
FIND THE BEST ROUTE FOR YOU
Only one travel lane will be open through the work zone on Route 9 in Hillsboro on a limited schedule. The detour routes will remain in place and most motorists are encouraged to continue to use them and avoid delays. Through-truck restrictions remain in effect. Review our comparison of the three routes to find the best route for your travel needs.
- Through and commuter traffic originating from, or with a final destination, west of the Shenandoah River
- Tractor Trailers and Buses
Four-lane limited-access highways
Higher travel speeds
Recent roadway and safety improvements
Westbound direction right turns only, with limited stopping, smoother flow of travel
ROUTE 9 WORK ZONE
- Greater Hillsboro area residents
- Greater Hillsboro area and in-town business deliveries
- Westbound, weekend leisure travelers
Active work zone
Narrow travel lane
Unpaved, uneven roadway
- Northwest Loudoun area residents/commuters
- Visitors to area businesses and attractions
Non-through delivery trucks under bridge weight limits
Enforced, reduced speed limit
Narrow shoulders along route
Multiple one-lane bridges
Election Day News
Messages from the Mayor
ReThink9 Press Releases:
ReThink9 enters new phase ahead of schedule with limited opening for traffic through Hillsboro. The Town of Hillsboro ReThink9 Traffic Calming and Pedestrian Safety project enters its “partially open” phase on Friday, August 14, permitting limited single-lane...
PRESS RELEASE: Hillsboro Extends Full Road Closure to August 15— Ensures No Additional Full Closures in 2020
VDOT and Town agree to extend full closure to advance project, ensuring no additional full closures in 2020, benefiting local agribusiness during their fall peak season. Hillsboro, Va., June 23, 2020—The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has approved...
To the ReThink9 Community:
With the opening of functional roundabouts at each end of Hillsboro on Friday, August 14, the Town reopened Rt. 9 in to westbound-only traffic on Friday afternoon and over the weekend. Because of critical motorist safety violations throughout the weekend, particularly...
Mayor Vance encourages Loudounders to set an example for all motorists: drive only the identified and signed detour routes and avoid Cider Mill Road.
OUR PARTNERS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!